The Washington Redskins held a 1 pm practice today, eliminating the morning walkthrough, but even with a change in schedule, there wasn’t a drop off in the teams’ mindset on the field.
A lot of the reps today in practice went to the 2nd and 3rd team guys as Head Coach Jay Gruden wants players to have the chance to prove themselves on the field. The defensive line looked good in 11-on-11 drills at the end of practice forcing three interceptions by rookie quarterback Nate Sudfeld.
“It was a team effort by the defense. They had great pass rush, number one, which made [Nate] Sudfeld a little uncomfortable, and then they had good coverage to boot so it was a good all-around effort by the defense,” Gruden said.
And with a lot of depth at the defensive line position, Gruden wants them as well as other positions, to have opportunities to show what they can do as decisions on the roster loom with the Redskins first preseason game next Thursday against the Atlanta Falcons.
“Yeah, I want to get them some more reps. Yesterday, I had a really long drive with the ones. They were out there for about an 18-play drive, so today I wanted to really feature the twos and the threes and make sure they got the reps,” Gruden said.
Third year wide receiver Ryan Grant continues to have a solid camp in a crowded group at the receiver position. Grant made a nice leaping catch over linebacker Will Compton during 7-on-7 drills for a big gain.
While devastating news came at the end of practice for rookie linebacker Steven Daniels as the team says he suffered a torn labrum and probably will be out for the remainder of the 2016-17 season. A decision on surgery will be made soon.
“Steven Daniels has a labrum [injury]. He’s probably going to have surgery. We’re going to probably decide that today, but [it] looks like he’ll have surgery,” Gruden said.
Other News and Notes from Day 8 of Training Camp
- Offensive Tackle Trent Williams missed his second day of practice due to rest. He should be back when the team practices again Sunday.
- Tight end Jordan Reed was held out of practice for precautionary reasons due to a slightly sprained thumb.
- Receiver Jamison Crowder has a slight hamstring pull and missed practice.
- Matt Jones was back in action today after missing yesterday’s practice.
- Rookie running back Keith Marshall looks to have a hold on the third running back role as of now, behind Matt Jones and Chris Thompson.
- The Redskins have the day off tomorrow and will resume practice again Sunday at 1 pm.