We hope that you had a Happy Thanksgiving! Hopefully you did not have too many leftovers this weekend so that you can find what has been going on in RamNation this week. Like your turkey, this week was stuffed with great action with sweet rewards for dessert.
- The Rams went a 2-0 this weekend picking up wins over the American Eagles on Wednesday night 68-39 and in-state rival, the Old Dominion Monarchs on Saturday 76-67. Both games were played in front of sold-out crowds at the Siegel Center.
- VCU was able to an early lead against the Eagles and never look back as the Rams were able to coast to a decisive victory. Justin Tillman earned his second career double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds. Melvin Johnson led the team in points with 13.
- The Rams faced tougher competition on Saturday when they faced the ODU Monarchs. VCU was blitzed right at the start of the game as the Monarchs hit four three pointers in the first four minutes and led 16-8. After the early barrage, VCU locked in defensively and took control of the game. VCU led by as much as 11 and won by nine. Jequan Lewis led the Rams with 16 points off the bench.
- Mo Alie-Cox moved into sixth place on the VCU blocks list as he has 126 now.
- Melvin Johnson is now in sixth place on the VCU all-time three-point list.
- The Rams are now 4-2 this season with all wins being at home. The Rams will be on the road for their next two games as the will face Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in their first true road game of the season Wednesday night. Then they will travel to Atlanta to face the Florida State Seminoles in a neutral site game next Sunday afternoon.
- Like the men, the women’s went 2-0 this week on their homecourt as they defeated the Campbell Camels on Tuesday. They followed that win with a commanding 22 point win against the Furman Paladins on Sunday 68-44.
- The Rams played stifling defense against the Camels as they held them to eight points in the first half. The Camels were able to establish some momentum in the second half, but they fell behind early and were not able to catch the Rams. VCU forced 26 the Campbell to commit 26 turnovers.
Adaeze Alaeze finished the game with 12 points and five rebounds for the Rams in 19 minutes of play.
- The Rams were able to get an early lead against the Paladins as they never trailed in the game. VCU opened the game up in the third quarter going on a 14-4 run and never looked back outscoring Furman 18-9 in the third quarter. Ashley Pegram led the Rams in points with 16 off the bench in only 12 minutes.
- The Rams will enjoy a couple of days off before facing UNC Wilmington at the Siegel Center on Wednesday at 7:00. VCU will participate in the Arizona State Classic this weekend. They will face the host, Arizona State on Saturday and then they will face Toledo or Columbia on Sunday.
Twitter: @WVCWSports, @WVCW